80 civilians 28 teenagers killed by Indian troops in Jammu & Kashmir


80 civilians, including 28 teenagers, two infants and seven girls killed by Indian troops in Jammu & Kashmir since NC-Congress coalition government headed by Omar Abdullah took charge in January 2009.

January 7, 2009: A deaf and dumb person Abdul Rashid Reshi (45) of Pahalgam was killed in army firing near CM’s residence on Gupkar Road in Srinagar. Police claimed that Reshi was on reconnaissance mission for a possible Fidayeen attack. Some protests and condemnation followed the first killing of Omar Abdullah regime. Both Army and police initiated separate inquiries with zero results.

January 31, 2009: Ali Mohammad Bhat son of Ghulam Rasool of Vewan, Bandipore killed by army in custody. Army claimed he died of prolonged illness.

February 2, 2009: Army kills a tailor, Fayaz Ahmad Mir (32) of Lolab Kupwara. Army claimed that Mir died in exchange of fire. Police registers case after massive protests. Police later indicted troops of 18 RR in Fayaz’s killing but no arrests were made.

February 22, 2009: Army personnel at Bomai Sopore, killed two youth Mohammad Amin Tantray (23) and Javed Ahmed Dar (24) triggering massive protests across the valley. Bomai residents launch a month-long agitation demanding the removal of the army camp from the area. On March 29, the army camp was removed from the area but troopers are yet to be punished.

March 6, 2009: Mohammad Shahid Ahanger is killed by the paramilitary forces at Nowhatta during a demonstration. Police register a case against the CRPF.

March 18, 2009: Ghulam Mohiuddin Malik (33) a carpenter is killed by CRPF troopers at Pakherpora after they barge into his house. Violent protests follow.

April 19, 2009: A retired policeman Shams-ud-Din killed during an encounter with militants at Kandi Nathnusa village in Baramulla. Protests follow.

May 7, 2009: Mohammed Sadiq killed by army in their custody at Doda. A team headed by ADC records the statement of locals and family members. Army denies the allegation saying Sadiq was killed during crossfire.

May 12, 2009: Amina (17) is killed in “exchange of fire” between militants and troops in Kishtwar. Locals denounced the official version and accused the army of gunning her down. Protests follow, compensation is given by administration.

May18, 2009: A car dealer Manzoor Ahmad Beigh (40) of Aloochibagh, Srinagar summoned by a special operations group (SOG) of police to the headquarter returns dead. Protests follow and an inspector of SOG is dismissed from service.

May 29, 2009: Asiya Jan (17) and her sister-in-law Nilofer Jan (24) are allegedly raped and killed by unknown persons. People suspect security forces. Violent protests engulf Kashmir valley injuring hundreds of people. Reluctant government confirms rape and murder on June 10 after repeated denials. Shopian opens after 47 days of strike when High Court orders arrest of police officials for their role in the episode. Many inquiries and probes followed including the last one by CBI, which pronounced that both the women died due to drowning. The CBI claimed that there was no rape and Asiya was still a virgin.

June 29, 2009: Four youths are killed by CRPF in Baramulla during demonstrations to protest the alleged eve-teasing of a woman by a police official. Massive demonstrations follow, hundreds are injured and curfew was clamped in Baramulla.

July 9, 2009: Amina Masoodi, a BA final year student is killed inside her house during the night intervening July 08 and 09 by a Territorial Army man at Dolipora Trehgam. After massive protests police arrest the accused trooper Ashiq Hussain of 160 Territorial Army.

October 2, 2009: Irfan Ahmad (11) son of Ghulam Rasool Lone of Drangbal is killed after police fire teargas to disperse people protesting the continued detention of Syed Ali Shah Geelani. Irfan died when a tear gas shell hit him in the head. Massive demonstrations erupt for four days in Baramulla.

October 26, 2009: Sajad Ahmad Lone (24) of Ganapore village in Kupwara killed by Army troopers. Army claimed that Lone tried to attack them with an axe. Massive protests followed as people accused army of arresting, torturing and killing Sajad in custody. Deputy Commissioner Kupwara ordered a magisterial inquiry. The inquiry report was never made public. Army too ordered an internal inquiry.

January 8, 2010: Inayat Khan, 16, of Dalgate was killed in CRPF firing at Budshah Chowk, Srinagar while he was returning home after attending computer classes at Kukerbazaar. Widespread protests followed the first such death of 2010. Ex-gratia relief was offered to victim’s family but no inquiry or punishment to CRPF followed. Inayat was an 11th standard student.

January 22, 2010: Manzoor Ahmed Sofi (23) shot dead by the CRPF, Parahaspora (Pattan).

January 24, 2010: Mushtaq Ahmad Mir, 35, of Kalampora Pulwama was killed during an encounter between militants and troops. Mir was allegedly used as a human shield during the encounter by 44 Rashtriya Rifles Shadimarg Camp and SOG Pulwama. Massive protests followed the killing. Police say they are looking into the matter.

January 31, 2010: Wamiq Farooq (13) a student of class seven and a resident of Rainawari was killed when a teargas shell fired by police hits him on his head. Massive protests followed and police claimed to have suspended the accused Assistant Sub-Inspector. Later the police changed the version and described Wamiq as a stone pelter. Wamiq’s parents have approached the court.

February 5, 2010: Zahid Farooq (16) of Nishat is killed when a BSF party without any provocation confronts two teenagers and fires at one of them at Kralsangri Brain. After initial denial, BSF later admitted of killing and handed over two of its accused personnel Commandant RK Birdi and constable Lakhvinder to police. BSF is seeking transfer of case to its Court. Zahid was the only son among three siblings.

April 13, 2010: Zubair Ahmad Bhat (17) forcibly by a CRPF party who were chasing a group of stone pelters. Witnensses said Zubair and his friends were resting on the banks of Jhelum at Jamia Qadeem, Sopore and CRPF used batons and stones to force them to jump in Jhelum. Zubair, a class 11 student, unable to swim was drowned. Boatmen trying to save him were met with teargas. Police described it an accident. Zubair’s elder brother, Ehsan-ul-Haq had been killed by troopers in 2006.

April 13, 2010: Army claimed to have killed oldest militant aged 65 in an encounter in Pahaldaji village in Handwara. A Lolab family identified the ‘aged militant’ as their father Habibullah, who was a beggar. Army modified its claim by saying that he might have been used as a guide or a human shield. Police registered a murder case against army and started a probe.

April 24, 2010: Troops of Rashtriya Rifles 53 Bn opened fire during an ambush near Chewan village in Kellar area of Shopian killing one civilian Ghulam Ahmed Kalas alias Khuda Bakhsh along with two of his horses carrying timber. Massive protests followed in which people for the first time torched two army vehicles. Police registered a murder case against Army. The deceased was father of eight.

April 29, 2010: Army kills three civilians Muhammad Shafi, Shehzad Ahmad and Riyaz Ahmad of Rafiabad in a fake encounter in Machhil and pass them off as militants. The incident came to light when the families of the three missing persons identified the three as their missing kin through pictures and their clothes. Protests follow and bodies were exhumed. Police registers a case and arrests three, including a trooper of Territorial Army. Some army personnel including a Major are identified as accused, but have not been arrested.

June 11, 2010: Tufail Ahmad Matoo, 17, was killed when police aimed a teargas shell at his head at Rajouri Kadal. His skull was broken and brain splattered allover the place causing an instant death.

Police first denied its role even blamed the people who removed Tufail to hospital. Autopsy confirmed the use of firearm as cause of his death. An inquiry has been ordered. Tufail was the lone child of his parents.

June 19, 2010: In the protests following Tufail’s killing, CRPF troopers caught hold of 24-year-old handicraft artisan Mohammed Rafiq Bangroo of Dana Mazaar, Srinagar. He was ruthlessly beaten with gun butts and batons smashing his head. The critically injured Bangroo was taken to SKIMS hospital where he went into coma and ultimately died on June 19, 2010. Massive protests followed. No inquiry is ordered.

June 20, 2010: Two porters Aziz Malik and Mazloom Malik from village Chuntwari in Machil are killed at LOC. Army puts the blame on firing from across the LOC by Pakistan army. Families accuse army of killing them in cold blood. Autopsy revealed the deceased were shot from close range strengthening the doubts of a staged killing. Police says it is inquiring into the matter.

June 20, 2010: Javid Ahmad Malla 17, a relative of Rafiq Bangroo was killed when CRPF opened fire at protestors during Bangroo’s funeral procession. He died on the spot. Forced to discontinue his studies due to poverty Javid was working in a bag manufacturing unit to support his parents. The chief minister directed Divisional Commissioner to probe the killing and report in one week, but at the same time termed the mob which was fired upon as suicidal as they tried to torch a CRPF bunker.

June 25, 2010: CRPF personnel fired on people who were demanding bodies of two militants killed during an encounter.

Two youths Shakeel Ahmad Ganai, 24, and Firdous Ahmad Khan, 20, were killed sending entire Sopore up in protest. Government ordered a judicial inquiry headed by the chairman of State Human Rights Commission, Justice Bashir-ud-Din.

June 27, 2010: CRPF fired on a small group of protesters who were demanding punishment against troopers for killing the two civilians. Bilal Ahmed Wani 23, of Kralteng Sopur who was watching the small protest, was hit by a bullet. He was declared brought dead at the hospital. Bilal was a daily-wager in PHE department and had four sisters. The panicky government accused CRPF of being a loose cannon and described the firing as unwarranted saying the protest of 20 odd youth could have been dealt with more humanely.

June 28, 2010: In its continuing killing spree CRPF fired on a protest march in Delina Baramulla killing a nine year old Asif Ahmad Rather son of Ghulam Hassan on the spot.

Another youth Tajamul Bashir Bhat, 21, was killed in CRPF firing near Kapra theatre in Sopore. A first year student of Degree College Sopur, Tajamul worked as a part time labourer too.

June 29, 2010: Ishtiyaq Ahmad Khanday, 15, Shujaat-ul-Islam, 18, and Imtiyaz Ahmad Itoo, 18, were killed in Anantnag when police and CRPF caught hold of them after chasing the protestors. They were allegedly shot inside residential compounds.

Ishtiyaq and Shujaat-ul-Islam were students and Imtiyaz was working as a helper with a baker. Ishtiyaq was a lone son of his parents. Government orders a magisterial inquiry into the incident. The probe will be headed by Additional District Magistrate Ghulam Muhammad Dar.

July 6, 2010: Muzaffar Ahmad Bhat, 17 son of Ghulam Muhammad Bhat of Tengpora, By-pass, Srinagar beaten to death by police.

In firing on protests that followed the killing of Muzaffar, three other youth including a girl killed. The victims include Fayaz Ahmad Wani (24) son of Nazir Ahmad Wani of Tengpora, Fancy Jan (24) daughter of Abdul Rahman of Dandarkhah, Batamaloo and Abrar Ahmad Khan (18) son of Ghulam Ahmad Khan of Maisuma, Srinagar.

July 17, 2010: Faizan Rafeeq Buhroo (13) S/O Mohammad Rafeeq Buhroo R/O Mohalla Jalal Sahab, Baramulla drowned to death by police at Baramulla

July 19, 2010: Fayaz Ahmed Khanday (22) S/O Ghulam Mohammad Khanday R/O Kreeri, Baramulla killed in CRPF firing on funeral procession of Faizan Rafeeq near DC Office Baramulla

July 25, 2010: Tariq Ahmad Dar of Panzla, Rafiabad district Baramulla allegedly killed in police custody

July 25, 2010: Farooq Ahmad Bhat, 28, son of Ali Muhammad Bhat of S D Colony, Batamaloo allegedly killed in police custody

July 30, 2010: Muhammad Ahsan Ganai, 50 son of Abdul Aziz and Showkat Ahmad Chopan, 17 son of Abdul Majid Chopan of Amargarh, Sopur killed in CRPF firing at Sopur

July 30, 2010: Muhammad Rafiq Bhat (14) of Palhalan and Nazir Ahmad Mir, 32 of Sheeri, Varmul killed in police firing at Pattan

July 31, 2010: Mudassir Ahmed Lone, 20 S/O Ghulam Mohammad Lone R/o Harpora Naidkhai, district Bandipora killed in police firing at Naidkhai

July 31, 2010: Javed Ahmed Teli, 23 S/O Ghulam Mohammad Teli R/o Bangla Bagh, Baramulla, killed in CRPF firing at Baramulla

August 1, 2010: Nayeem Ahmed Shah, 20, son of Bashir Ahmad Shah of Hyderpora killed in police firing at Pampore

Rayees Ahmad Wani, 18 son of Abdul Rashid Wani of Pampore killed in police firing

Afroza Teli, 15 daughter of Ghulam Mohammad Bhat of Khrew Pulwama killed in SOG firing

Five youth killed in a blast at Khrew while torching local police post

August 2, 2010: Tariq Ahmed Dar 17 son of Farooq Ahmed Dar from Simthan Bijbehara injured in police firing on August 1 succumbs

August 2, 2010: Muhammad Yaqoob Bhat (22) son of Abdul Rahim Bhat, a resident of Zadoora, Pulwama killed in CRPF firing near Pulwama.

August 2, 2010: Khursheed Ahmed War (22) son of Muhammad Maqbool War, resident of Shumnag, Kupwara killed in SOG firing near Kralpora in district Kupwara.

August 2, 2010: Aashiq Hussain Bhat (14) son of Ghulam Hassan Bhat, resident of Wahiepora area of Kulgam district killed in CRPF firing at Kulgam

August 2, 2010: Basher Ahmed Rishi (44) son of Mohammed Ismael Rishi from Wachi, Pulwama shot dead by policemen near Sangam bridge and the body thrown into river Jhelum

August 2, 2010: Irshad Ahmed (17) son of Mohammad Abdullah of Reshipora, Awantipora tortured to death

August 2, 2010: Rameez Ahmad (16) son of late Abdul Rasheed Bhat killed in CRPF firing at Kulgam

August 2, 2010: Eight-year-old boy was the latest fatality. Sameer Ahmed Rah, succumbed to his injuries in a hospital here following a clash between protesters and security personnel in the uptown Batamaloo area. While residents alleged Sameer was beaten by police, police said he was injured in the stampede when security forces took action against the protesters.

August 3, 2010: Meraj-ud-Din Lone (20) son of Mohammad Maqbool Lone of Barthana shot dead in Barthana, Qamarwari, Srinagar

August 3, 2010: Anees Ahmed (17) son of Khursheed Ahmed Ganai, resident of Dangerpora Narwara killed in CRPF firing near Narwara, Srinagar.

August 3, 2010: Suhail Ahmad Dar (15) son of Mohammad Yasin Dar of Zainakote HMT, Srinagar killed CRPF firing

August 3, 2010: Jehangir Ahmad (22) son of Muhammad Yousuf Bhat, of Chenigam Yaripora, Kulgam killed in police firing

August 3, 2010: 25-year-old youth, Reyaz Ahmed Bhat of Khrew, Pulwama injured in Khrew on August 1 succumbs.

August 4, 2010: Muhammad Yaqoob Bhat (20) son of Sheikh Muhammad Yusuf Bhat of Nund Resh Colony, Bemina Srinagar killed in paramilitary CRPF near Bemina.

August 4, 2010: Muhammad Iqbal Khan (22) son of Abdul Majid Khan of Lone Mohalla, Chanapora, Srinagar who had sustained bullet injuries in police and CRPF firing on July 30 breathed his last at SKIMS Soura.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s