MQM, ANP spar as target killings intensify

MQM and ANP leadership have started holding each other responsible over target killing incidents in Karachi opening a new Pandora box of allegation by indulging in blame game.MQM leader Wasim Akhtar talking to a private TV channel on Saturday accused ANP leadership of supporting land mafia in Karachi adding that after operation against land mafia target killing incidents in the city have reportedly been increased.

He also stated that ANP activists have also attacked at offices of MQM in the city and to divert the attention from land mafia operation target killing incidents were being designed to create havoce and chaos in the metropolis.

While President ANP-Sindh Shahi Syed said,ANP is fully committed to supporting the law enforcement agencies to eliminate target killing incidents in the city, adding that target killing incidents couldnt be controlled by constituting committees.

Central Leader of Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) Dr. Farooq Sattar Saturday called for prompt and strict action against ‘land mafia, drug mafia and arms mafia’ to ensure peace in the metropolitan city.

At a press conference called in emergency, the MQM leader flanked by members of MQM Rabitta Committee Raza Haroon, Nasreen Jalil and Wasay Jalil alleged that Awami National Party (ANP) continued to function as a political party until it was led by Bacha Khan but ‘now the sole objective of the party is to patronize land mafia, drug mafia and an armed group’.

“It was ANP’s armed terrorists who attacked MQM’s office, killing one of our worker while (some) other party members who were seriously injured are still under treatment at a hospital,” he alleged.

Dr. Farooq Sattar said ‘land grabbers’ are challenging the writ of the government and called for steps to put a strict check on the same.

Six men were killed and as many sustained injuries in separate incidents of firing and violence in various parts of the metropolis during the past 24 hours. Tension persists in the city as unknown miscreants torched 5 busses including a police mobile van besides a number of shops.

The fresh wave of violence began when last night when unknown armed men opened fire on an office of Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) in Gulistan-e-Jauhar, killing one party worker and injuring five others.

Following the incident, enraged people took to the streets and set on fire 5 busses, a police mobile van, two other vehicles, timber market, furniture market, tea outlets and two carpet shops besides a many roadside stalls and pushcarts.

In other incidents of violence, two people were killed in Gulistan-e-Jauhar while three were killed in Hussainabad, Gharibabad and Abul Hasan Ispahani Road. Incidents of heavy firing continue in different parts of the city including Gulistan-e-Jauhar, confining people to their houses.

According to an estimate, in the past one-month alone 68 people lost their lives in incidents of targeted killings. Gulistan-e-Jauhar, Malir and Surjani Town remained highly tensed as a result of these incidents. Police has so far failed to get any major success in preventing the targeted killings in the city.

Judicial probe into target killings in Karachi would be conducted and a report submitted to the Government within thirty days. This was stated by Interior Minister Rahman Malik and the Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah while addressing a joint news conference following a meeting here on Saturday.

The interior minister said the enemy is using different tactics to destabilize the country. It has been using Taliban and ethnic and sectarian tools and the information suggests that it would do so in future as well.

He said people are welcome to settle in Karachi as it is their constitutional right but this right cannot be given to criminals to become Qabza group or start giving trouble.

The Sindh chief minister announced that those providing evidence of target killings, which leads to unmasking of the culprits, would be awarded a cash prize of five million rupees. He said a committee comprising provincial Home Secretary, DG Rangers and IG Police, has also been constituted to submit recommendations for de-weaponization of Karachi while another committee under Home Secretary Sindh will make recommendations for framing stringent laws for recovery of illegal weapons.

Meanwhile, after a meeting with the Director General Sindh Rangers Major General Mohammad Ejaz Chaudhry, Interior Minister said government would mobilize all its resources to protect the life and property of the people.He said the number of rangers in Karachi have been increased to check the target killing

Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah Saturday said Rehman Malik is fond of highlighting even minor incidents happening in Punjab but at the same turns a blind eye to the targeted killings in Karachi.

Addressing a public meeting of Pakistan Muslim League-N’s candidate Azhar Qayum Nahira and later talking to media men, Rana Sanaullah said Rehman Malik keeps criticizing Punjab government, contributing further to the problems but becomes inactive when it comes to intelligence sharing.

He said the criticism against the concrete steps being taken by Punjab government to deal with terrorism is uncalled for and that the people will not be deceived by such tactics.

Muslim Leagu-N, the Law Minister said, will return successfully in Sargodha and Gujranwala.

Tags:

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s